Heart Strings Project 2011- Ecuador & The READ Organization

I know I take a lot of things for granted… and I don’t like to admit that. But, it’s the truth. And when life slams me in the face and reminds me that what I take for granted is so often one of my greatest blessings- I am thankful for the reminder. Funny how that works.

I can read. I have never really spent time thinking about it -until now. I have never thought to thank the village of countless teachers (including my parents!) that invested in me. That wanted to ensure that my future was so bright and filled with endless possibility…and that guaranteed me the resources I needed to learn. Wow…talk about taking things for granted!

Saying “thank you” barely seems to scratch the surface of my gratitude, when I was given the priceless gift of an education. But,  THANK YOU  – a deep-hearted, long-overdue – THANK YOU!

I think about the endless books, pencils, crayons, workbooks and libraries that I was surrounded by my entire life…

…and then I humbly think…not everyone is this blessed… and I can not digest that and remain seated.

Insert The READ Organization.

The READ organization is focused on removing the barriers that keep people from getting an education in rural areas of Cotopaxi, Ecuador. Their goal is to provide the educational resources necessary – so that teachers are empowered to teach and that students with the desire to learn, can do so…ultimately, creating a lasting impact on the community through supporting education.

A daunting task, when family priorities are often consumed with the very important, daily goal of getting food on the table – but the READ organization is making waves… and lives and communities are changing.

This summer READ will be completing the construction of a regional library in rural Cotopaxi, Ecuador, serving a surrounding community of approximately 6,000. Imagine…a building filled with shelves of books, computers… a place to learn.  Imagine the possibility!

In July, I will be traveling with the team from READ to document and capture this momentous milestone. I am beyond excited to photograph the faces of school children, the library opening its doors, the community involving themselves in the project, and the commitment to their own future.

I take great pride in my role as a team member and photographer…and hope that I will tell the story that READ is unfolding with honesty and love and inspire others to get involved.

Much more to come and much more to share on my return from Ecuador, but I just wanted to bring you into the fold of my 2011 “Heart Strings” project. I am so honored to be a part of it all.

KateSeptember 12, 2011 - 5:27 pm

Thank you so much, for passing on that story, Deb. Warms my heart! Love to you!

Deborah MockSeptember 8, 2011 - 8:47 pm

Our pastor, Rev. Strickhausen, spoke a little about our Ecuador mission this past Sunday. He was very touched by the perfect music you chose and he incorported the words of ” With My Own Two Hands” into his sermon. Your work is blessing so many, Kate. Just wanted to share that with you. May God continue to bless you and those who view your work.

toni mullanySeptember 1, 2011 - 3:33 pm

Hi Kate, I am long….long….long time friends of ginny, orfay and celeste (since she was first in USA) They are such wonderful people…always giving rarely taking except for others.
I LOVED your contribution. Ginny was so thrilled that you were doing this. I’ve sent the site to anyone I know who might be interested.
Thank you so much for what you have done. I cried which isn’t easy for a jaded old social worker who is best friends with ginny.
I love that family. Thanks again. toni

KateApril 16, 2011 - 1:36 pm

YES! So, so excited!!

KateApril 16, 2011 - 1:35 pm

Thanks so much Rachael… you are the best for always being such a great support of mine!! xoxo MWAH!

KateApril 16, 2011 - 1:34 pm

Thank you so much Dick!!! xo

Dick GillaspieApril 16, 2011 - 1:46 am

I’ll be available to help Bill & Mica.

CindyApril 13, 2011 - 11:00 pm

Great! Yes it truly sounds like a wonderful opportunity! Do you need someone to assist???

VanessaApril 13, 2011 - 10:11 pm

Fabulous news! This sounds right up your alley…I look forward to seeing the amazing photos.

RachaelApril 13, 2011 - 9:58 pm

OMG Kate! I mean this is AMAZING and wonderful and out of this world AWESOME! I’m so excited for you and wish I could fit in your suit case and tag along! You are such an inspiration and I can’t wait to see the photos you capture, I know they’re going to be astounding.